Sunday 26 June 2016

What I've learnt so far (a.k.a: Don't do this again!)


I thought it would be interesting to write a little blog post on the things I have learnt so far about growing my own food - and a What NOT to do guide for myself for next year.

1) First things first - DON'T over crowd the crops. 

I've totally underestimated how much room things actually need to grow and as a consequence to that everything is not quite at its best. The raised beds were a fantastic idea but I have been so anxious to plant everything this year in my (let's face it) tiny plot, that I've not let some crops have the room they really need. Case and point, (ABOVE) my munchkin pumpkins. The pumpkins may be small but the pants that grow them are bloody huge! 4 plants is 2 too many!

2) Slugs do not discriminate and the bloody buggers eat everything. PUT SLUG PELLETS DOWN!!!

3) Care for the crops as you're meant to...
I've lost 3 pumpkins because I didn't get my act together and get some straw/hay underneath them. Without it, they rot and fall off the plant. I'm now on it!




4) Plant what you really want to eat and then actually plant it in succession.
Case and point; carrots and parsnips. I'm both in equal measures terrified and over-excited to pull up my first C and P and I'm quite sure there are a couple of each ready to go, but I haven't managed the succession very well (and those pesky slug haven't helped!)



5) When things start to grow, revel in your achievement and don't let anyone says you're silly for getting over excited over a 1.5cm pepper/tomato/cucumber




6) Enjoy it...always. Its worth the ups and downs


Thats all for now. Happy growing x

No comments:

Post a Comment