Wednesday 31 December 2014

First vegetables: Onions


Finally the time came!

I got to plant my first vegetable seeds!

A couple of weeks ago we took a trip to Homebase and I picked up some veg seeds and some seedling compost.



There are still a couple I want to get; Munchkin pumpkins and runner beans from Sarah Raven.

But yesterday i braved the cold and went to get messy!


I decided to make 20 pots up and place two seeds in each. Eventually I will remove the weeker seedling as they start to sprout.


I had no idea how small the seeds would be, and unfortunately, right after this photo was taken i dropped the inner white packet (still full off seeds) onto the floor!
As my little GH sits on mud, it was impossible to find and retrieve any seeds...boo!

Luckily, the amount I had in my hand was just enough to place two seeds in each pot. They were watered and then bought in side to sit on the conservatory windowsill.

Hopefully is should only be a couple of weeks until I see something.


I absolutely adore the idea of being able to eat an onion i have grown from seed!

Gosh I hope they grow!

Im also making my own little "Gardening Journal" at the moment....i will show you when i have finished!





2 comments:

  1. Good luck with the onions Helen!! I've had a couple of years of good onions bug never from seed from bulbs, I'll be watching closely, I'm going to put you on my blogroll xx Deb from www.girlontheplot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see your Gardening Journal as i've been thinking of putting one together myself! Good luck with your onions, I can't wait to get planting to! - Becky trowelandfork.co.uk

    ReplyDelete